Saturday, June 1, 2013

Historic Ships—Inner Harbor

Back in the fall I asked the boys where they would like to go on field trips this year. Marty chose the historic ships downtown. So, today we finally got there.

IMG_0703

First stop: the submarine. It killed the last ship in WWII—a Japanese defense net boat.

IMG_0704IMG_0705

Next stop: The Chesapeake. I did not go on the Chesapeake or the sub. It was a lightship, part of the lighthouse program.

IMG_0707

Third stop the Taney, a Coast Guard ship built in 1936 and the last ship that survived Pearl Harbor to be retired.

IMG_0708

Charlie thought the bunks were pretty cool, but I think it would have been claustrophobic.

IMG_0710

Final stop: the Constellation, a US Navy ship commissioned in 1855.

IMG_0711IMG_0712

It was a beautiful day in the Inner Harbor. But hot—about 94 degrees.

IMG_0713

“Shooting” the cannon.

IMG_0714

Not a lot of head room for some of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment